Thursday, September 9, 2010

DR Week 5

Hey guys how it is going, thanks so much for the cookies and I think I made it clear to my roommates not to touch them, plus I hid them pretty well. Also Dad there is a difference between a few and 90% of my cookies, so that was why I was agitated. Also thanks for the sport updates, everyone prints off their emails for breakfast and we had our sports discussion going on this morning. I won a bet with another elder who was a pretty big Washington fan so that was nice. I am doing great and getting ready to go into the fire or the rain in this case. Yesterday and right now we are having some pretty big rain storms that are coming down hard. So I guess we are having tropical disturbances from what I can tell. I think the highlight (joking) is that when we were picking up trash at the University for service, some Dominicans came up to Elder Klem and I and said "What up Niggas", which was kind of a shock, but a teacher told us it wasn't offensive here and that is how people greet each other in Spanish. So we figured out our teachers say it all the time we just didn't know. So I will have to stay away from that! We had our weekly University experience in the rain which was nice because it felt good and we got to talk to a good number of people. I'm trying to expand my vocabulary and speak about other things at first, I can talk about sports easily, but other than that I'm lost, so the gospel is pretty easy to talk about in Spanish. We also had our game day simulation, but we had about 10 12-17 year olds that came as a youth activity, and we got to teach the 1st lesson and part of the 2nd, which I liked because it was easy to talk because we have taught the lessons so much. It was supposed to be a dude living with his girlfriend and teach them the Law of Chastity but our teacher changed it last minute because that would be a weird lesson to teach all of them. So when I introduced my self as Elder Smith they all started murmuring together and I could tell they were like its Joseph Smith's grandson or something like that. I guess afterwards when our teacher was walking them out, all of the kids were like man they know Spanish already, and our teacher said we were speaking fluently which was nice. It was also nice to give advice to them after we taught. Also I think I had the longest fast I have ever had this week from 1 on Saturday till 2 on Sunday, it was killer. So we have had some culture clashes here between the natives and Americans. This week Elder McFarland was listening to Mo tab, and one of the Latinos was "Esta musica es fea" (this music is ugly), and as we do in America Elder McFarland said "tu madre es fea" (your mom is ugly), so we learned that Latinos hold their mom sacred and saying your mom is like dropping the f word on them maybe worse, as the Latino elder flew up, but they settled it out. I guess it was paybacks because the Latinos love to use English swear words and say that it means nothing to them, which isn't good. But the Latinos are funny, and fun to talk to. Also our mission president was here on Monday, but no one that was going there saw him. I guess when he was leaving he asked my District leader specifically, "Hey where can I find Elder Smith?", and they pointed over to the basketball courts and said I was in a middle of a game of bball, and he said alright then and then got in is car and left. So 5 minutes later a teacher and some elders was like your mission president was looking for you so I don't know if that was a good or bad thing but the teacher said it was a good thing, because he also had President Lee as his mission president. I'm excited to get out into the field and everyone here goes to their assigned mission.


Jacob I'm surprised that they moved you to b team, don't worry about it. Continue to work hard, and have fun! This is an opportunity to prove the coaches wrong, and should make you work harder. I know that you are capable of being on top. The best bball player MJ was cut from his high school team and it made him work harder and look where he is now. Not that the b team is bad, but continue to work. I miss the days of being out on the field, so enjoy while it lasts. Also to you start at corner, or do you share or what’s up? Continue to send me news on your team and your stats and how you are doing. I know you will have a great season no matter where you are playing. Coaches make weird decisions sometimes, believe me I know. Also continue to work hard in school, and church.


Brittney it sounds like all is going well in school as usual. Enjoy senior year, it was probably my funnest year since you are at home and you have a lot more than you do in college and the friends that you have. Don't worry about HC, I'm sure you will be asked, it surprises me that you haven't been asked yet. What happen to Darrett(Jarrett in retard voice)? Did dad and I scare him off, jk. But enjoy life where you are at right now.


Makenzie I will send some postcards home when I am out in the field and have a chance to buy some, so I’ll do that for you. Continue to work hard in school, and basketball and going to seminary. Seminary sometimes sucks because of the time you have to get up, but it is well worth the effort.


Mom and Dad it sounds like work and things around the house are going great. I'm glad to hear so. Things are probably going to start getting chaotic with sports starting. I'm thankful that y’all were able to go to all of my games as a kid, and have y’all supporting me. If y’all ever go to San Antonio keep a look out for an Elder Kalepi, Robinson, or Sessions for me. I got my driving record so don't worry about sending it, and that is a sweet picture of Grandma and Grandpa Brink, and Nathan with my favorite player in the NBA! Continue to send pictures of what’s going on like dad I'm also a visual person and I enjoy seeing pictures. Next time y’all send a package or if you send a package can you send me a couple of L Dri Fit crew neck garments (you can buy the cotton ones here for like 50 cents but they are know where as nice), a photo album of some pictures, and a flash drive (8gb) that I can back up pictures on in case I get my camera stolen. Y’all definitely don't have to do this but it would be nice.




Thanks so much for all that y’all do and have a great week


Love, Elder Smith


You can still write me in the next few hours if you want, Jacob send me the rankings and news about Texas as well. I heard this morning that Texas and BYU signed a 3 year deal or something to play, which I’m excited I will wear all Texas stuff if they play in Provo.




Letters:
Pouch- A single sheet of paper folded in 3rds and taped shut on top


Elder Matthew Robert Smith
Dominican Republic Santiago Mission
PO Box 30150
Salt lake city UT 84130-0150
USA


Letters and Packages:


Elder Matthew Robert Smith
Dominican Republic Santiago Mission
Plaza Alejo 2-B
Av. Estrella Sadhala
Santiago, Dominican Republic
(809) 241-1145


Include the phone number because the Dominican postal service doesn’t deliver to offices and homes. They call the mission home and they come pick it up.


Miami Service:
Letters and photo’s only! No money, checks, stamps, debit/credit cards. It is illegal to send these things across the border using this service.


Elder Matthew Smith
8013
PO Box 025725
Miami, FL 33102-5725

No comments:

Post a Comment