Thursday, September 2, 2010

Dominican Republic Week 4

Hola guys, what’s going down? It sounds like there is a lot going on at home and that is a good thing. Thanks for the pictures and continue to send more, the more the merrier and I can print them out for free while I'm here for the next two weeks. I got a letter from Jyl's family and Mom on dearelder this week so that is all I got so I don’t know if y’all sent more or not. It sounds like Cinco is doing alright this year in football, and I enjoy having the sport updates, especially with college football and the NFL about to start. Jacob you need to get to work on that. And Dad, that's crazy that BYU is independent, if BYU was playing Texas at home I just might wear all Texas stuff just to make everyone mad. That's funny that Mr. Radcliff said that, (Mr. Radcliff’s son played football with Matthew. Sunday he pulled up next to us in our car and asked if we were going to church. I said yes and he said he just finished playing golf and he held up a cigar and said he was smoking a cigar so pray for him). I could see him doing that. Brittney it sounds like you have a full schedule and the only same teachers I had were Eaton and Dietrich so good luck. The calculus manual should be on my laptop and our computer. You better be good at calculus so you can teach me when I get home so I don't have to start all over again. It sounds like Jacob is doing good in school and football are you playing safety, and are you splitting time with someone?, Give me updates on how practice and your games are going its nice to read about how y’all are doing. Also how is Makenzie doing in basketball and are you going to be moved up? I hope all is going well at home and at work. Yeah they don’t really give us updates on hurricanes so I don't know what the procedure for that is, just survive I guess. I haven't had any dreams in Spanish, but I am speaking it for the most part until the last hour of the day. Save up some money and that trip to the DR would be sweet, it will be nice to relax and be able to put on some shorts and tour around. The drivers here are way worse then anything I have ever seen, so we will have to be extremely careful. The stop lights are only warnings, so you could go through on a full red and just honk to get through. I'm glad Johnny got his call so I should be getting a letter soon from him. So is Shane playing football at U of H or is he done? Tell everyone I say hey back for them. This past week as been crazy and is flying fast but I would rather be out in the field for sure right now. Once I get out to the field it is power and water about 50% of the time if I'm lucky and no a/c or things like that. At the University this week Elder Miller and I talked the whole time and we talked to about 8 people and got our first time to just go away from anyone. It’s funny when they try to speak English back to us and makes me feel a lot better about my Spanish. People will come up to you just to practice English with you. One guy that we talked to was sitting their doing calculus for homework and working to become a mechanical engineer so it made me feel good that I wasn't out studying math all afternoon here. Another guy we talked to was so excited that he could have a libro de Mormon for free, he was looking at it and started to give it back and I was just like you can have it for free and he had good time with it. Every time I go to the University it makes me feel like I know a lot of Spanish that I can actually talk to the people and they can understand and that I can understand what they are saying for the most part, but then when I think about it or try to say something I really don't know it that well. This week for our teaching simulation, it really wasn't a simulation it was the real deal and we actually taught an investigator that a friend had brought, so his friend was pretty trusting in us, so hopefully we didn't mess up his salvation for him. It was scary I would have rather gone into it thinking it was a pretend investigator, and it put the pressure on quite a bit. So my companion and I probably understood about 40% of what they were saying. They would speak super fast and really soft which made it hard to understand. I guess after we taught the investigator (she) told our teacher that I had really nice blue eyes, so he was saying blue eyes are pretty rare here. So after this lesson it showed me that I had a long way to go. I can't wait to have a companion in the field that hopefully is fully fluent in Spanish so I have an idea of what is going on. This week we had a member of the 70 that is in the Caribbean presidency and after the devotional, I was talking to him and I guess his cousin is President Anderson in the stake presidency back in Katy, so I finally met someone that knew some one from Katy on my mission. Also we found out this week that one of our teachers is an amateur UFC fighter and is apparently really good seeing how he is undefeated, and when he demonstrates stuff in class he is pretty quick. He wants to take it to the next level but his wife won't let him so he is stuck here for the meantime. It is crazy how much I have learned from Preach my Gospel and the scriptures in the past couple of weeks. I am reading 45 minutes from the New Testament everyday, and I am almost done with it and it is awesome to read, and realize all of the stuff that I missed when I read it the first time for seminary. When we were at the University this past week I was talking to someone and I asked him what his favorite book in the Bible was and he said Hechos(Acts) and I had just finished reading it so I t was good that I was able to relate the stories back to him that were in it, and especially about the huge change in Saul to Paul. The new roommates are definitely a challenge but it is just a blessing in disguise, they don't know much Spanish so we have to help teach them to learn. Other than the weird noises at night, shedding in the shower, not flushing, turning the thermostat all the way up, and eating my food they are not that bad. There are a lot of things we need to teach them, and even though it is a challenge at times I do my best to work with them.


I can get back on later tonight so if y’all want to send me anything back before 6 that would be awesome. Also if you could check my bank account mom and dad and make sure I always have at least 150 bucks or so in my checking account, and make sure that it isn't switching money back and forth and make sure everything is right, thanks.

I love y’all so much, and I hope that everything is going great, Next week I will send my addresses for Santiago. Have a great week and work hard at school, work, and home!

Love, Elder Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment