What’s up family, how is it going? Thanks so much for the cookies that y’all sent and for the letters and dear elders! Are y’all glad that school is back in session and that y’all actually have to do things now. Things are going pretty good for the most part here, and I am not sick at all anymore so I am happy about that. The best way to describe the MTC is that days feel like weeks and weeks fell like days. I’m to the point now to where I would love to just jump into the field, the MTC is nice but I would rather be outside teaching and walking around than just studying in class. Last Friday at the University my companion and I talked to about 10 people and gave away our first Book of Mormon and handed out about 6 pamphlets so it was definitely a pretty successful day and I got my shoes shined for 10 pesos plus the last half of my coke from a kid who did a great job, so it saved me the work. Also this week we got to go the store for the first time on Tuesday. It was weird to walk in and the ¨Wal-Mart greeter¨ was holding a shotgun and didn’t look like he was in the greatest mood. Also it was weird because everything was in Spanish and I had no idea where anything was. They don’t have Dr. Pepper here so I’ll have to learn how to live without it for two years, oh well. At the store it was funny to see how much cheaper or how much more expensive everything was. For example 200 pieces of note book paper cost $5, and they had shirts from like Pac Sun for $6, so everything was either more expensive or cheaper. So everyone stalked up on Pepsi and Coke because the juice is getting old. We are teaching about everyday here and some go better than others, you can tell how well a lesson is going to go depending on how much thought and preparation you put into it. Good news, we got to pull out our cameras on Tuesday because the Haitians were leaving, so we have one more day before we leave to take pictures. We also got new roommates from Guyana, and they are 2 black kids that know English, but are learning Spanish here because they don’t have there US visa anymore. They don’t really seem to have respect for my stuff because when I came into the room they had my iPod out, using my perfect pushup, and they ate all of my cookies, in which I only had 2, and were drinking my soda. The funny thing is we had a discussion about this stuff before all of the Latin’s came in yesterday and when I walked in my room they were doing exactly what we kind of judged they would do, I’m not going to lie it pissed me off, because they didn’t even ask and I hadn’t even met them. I would recommend trying to not send me a lot of packages because how much it costs y’all to send it, and I have to pay a little to receive it, and I’m guessing companions in the future will take my stuff. A package here and there will be greatly appreciated! but I don’t want to cost y’all much. You can just put the money into my college savings if you want, and if you want to send a package make sure to put pictures of Jesus on them. I wish I could get packages all the time but it is probably better if I don’t. So I am glad that Brittney’s talk went well, I also had to give my first talk in Spanish this week, probably because I missed it last week because I was sick. It was definitely the most nerve racking talk I had every given, so I thought I got through the meeting without speaking and then President Hendricks called me up to give the last talk, so oh well. I guess I did okay because the president quoted parts of my talk afterwards, and I was also even able to put some humor into it with Spanish on the spot. It sounds like Jacob is having fun out in the 106 degree weather in football, and the girls are having fun in seminary and basketball. Also like mom and dad are staying busy with working at the school and like y’all had fun in South Padre. I definitely miss being able to go swim, especially here where it is so hot and humid. This morning I was one of the first white elders chosen to go do Initiatories at the Temple, because they usually have Haitians and natives go but neither was going today so it was cool to do. They did my Initiaories in Spanish which was cool and try to understand what they were saying, but I still haven’t done an endowment session in Spanish, which I want to but there is usually an English majority with the elders so they do them in Spanish. The Temple is really beautiful here. It also sounds that Brittney’s car is bad luck, sorry to hear that it had another accident. Jacob it will be good to finally get some football sport updates, because you never hear of football here. One elder brought one and so I got to throw yesterday but we can’t actually play a game of football, which surprises me because basketball gets dirty out on the court. My companion is really good, and also there is an elder in my district that is 6¨4´ that is playing for a small Mormon college that is really good, so it is good to have some competition. So the Latinos started arriving last night and they make me realize how much Spanish I really know. It is frustrating to not be able to say what you want to say when you are talking to them or when you are in a lesson.
All of y’all please send me updates in how y’all are doing in school and how your sports are going. I miss being able to watch y’all play. Also we found out this week that we can receive email from anyone but we can only email our family. So if you could put my email on facebook that would be awesome. Jacob I think you are friends with Chase on facebook, could you write him a message telling him to email me in is inbox that would be awesome, and just tell him that my brother wants you to email him and give him my email address. Also I never got to see the pictures from our vacation so if you could email me some of the pictures, and the picture y’all used for my mission plaque that would sweet (y’all better have picked a good one).
I hope that all is well and that work and school are going good for every one. Have a great week! Tengan un buena semana!
Love, Elder Smith
Also my address for here:
Elder Matt Smith
Av Bolivar #825
Los Robles
Dominican Republic
but I think pouch mail is much better i think the address is, but I'm not sure: maybe check first if not sure use other
Elder Matthew Robert Smith
Dominican Republic MTC
PO Box 30150
Salt Lake City UT 84130-0150
USA
No comments:
Post a Comment