Thursday, August 19, 2010

Week 2 in the DR

Hola familia, Que Tal? Hey the mail hasn't come in the past week so if y’all sent me anything in the past week on Dear Elder could you email it to me or just send me a note on what’s going on. You can still use Dear Elder it will just take a while to get here. So just email, because that is probably the fastest I can get stuff from y’all. But this week has been great or at least the last couple of days. I guess my stomach sickness didn't take a good turn and I was in bed all Saturday and Sunday, which sucked. But last Friday we went out to the University and did legit contacts with the little Spanish that we know, but it ended up great. I was able to understand all of the 4 people we talked to pretty easily, but one guy would not slow down for the world so I would just have to listen to key words and put them together. They use a lot of slang here and blend words together that make it hard to understand what they are saying. We talked to 4 people for about 10 to 20 minutes each so that was cool, one guy just wanted to quiz me on the Bible so that was fun, it was kind of hard because of all the name changes they have in Spanish so oh well. It is amazing how much that I have learned in the past couple of weeks, and how much I can understand the language. The people here are great though and are much more patient than Americans back home, they will sit there and listen and actually talk to you which makes it easy for me. It was scary at first but when we started to talk, it was easy from there on. I am getting more comfortable teaching in Spanish and teaching in general, but it sucks when you want to say something and you know how to say it in English but you can't in Spanish and I figure it is going to be that way for a while. You can still bare strong testimony with the knowledge that you have and that is what is important that they feel that what you are telling them is true through the Spirit. But if you could email me what is going on, any questions, or the things I asked for that would be great I still have plenty of time of email left so I can get back on later this afternoon.




Love, Elder Smith


Continued from above:

Hey I just got y’alls dear elders a couple of minutes ago, the mail got here a little late this week we usually get it Tuesday or Wednesday night. It is great to hear from y’all, and Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad, I hope the steak’s tasted great, that is one of the many American foods that I miss very much. I hope y’all have a good time in South Padre this weekend. So I'm guessing school starts sometime next week so that will be exciting for y’all. I feel for Jacob and football practice, I just got done pulling weeds at the temple for the past 2 hours and I was sweating like a dog. Hopefully Jacob you are looking forward to football, it will be fun! I miss football a lot and I won't get to play it for the next 2 years so you will have to teach me how to throw when I get back. So dad you are working out a little more now. If you really want to lose pounds around the waste just eat rice and beans for a couple of weeks and get a stomach sickness and you will drop weight like nothing. This weekend I ate a total of 6 soda crackers and I ended up losing around 10 pounds over a couple of days, so it worked for me. Its good that Kirk is doing good and that you are getting to go to Astros games still. I bet it was awesome to get to listen to Elder Bednar, he is one of my favorite speakers and has a lot of wisdom. I have seen many talks that he has given in the MTC. Thanks for sending me back everything that I asked for, if Johnny gets his call soon let me know, and if y’all want to tell me anything after Sunday you should just email it to me. I am sure that the girls are ready for school and seminary to start. I don't think I could ever get up at 5 every morning again and I am glad that we at least get to sleep into 6:30. It sounds like y’all are had fun at girls camp, and boating and going to different places I guess. I am guessing that Jacob is taking advantage of my old cell phone, and is probably texting Colin's girl behind is back or something like that, JK. I guess I got to figure out how to send mail to Argentina from here, I was hoping to get Andrew's email address because some people can email there friends, but everyone can get email from friends they just can't write them is what I have been told. I enjoy hearing form y’all and I wish it was like in Provo where we could get mail twice a day, but here it is only once a week. This mission is definitely not easy and it is nice to get mail from family and friends to give you something to hear about what they are doing. Every time I start thinking about something back home I just try to work harder and usually the thoughts about back home go away. This place is way beautiful and it is nice to have a temple a 15 second walk away. It is a nice temple and you can tell that the inside of it is not made for tall people, there is an elder in our district that is 6'9'' and he has to slouch down to walk down the halls and stuff and it is pretty funny to see him walk through the town. Tomorrow we have are contacts again and hopefully it goes as well as last time. I got to go and it was good to finally get your letters! Have a great weak, Tengan una semana buena!




Love, Elder Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment