Friday, August 6, 2010

In The Dominican Republic

Hey, I made it to the Dominican Republic safely and they are letting us use email today to let y’all know that we did so safely. It is definitely a different culture, but it isn't to foreign. The MTC is on the same lot as the temple, and it is kind of like a building I think used to be a hotel. The rooms aren’t bad at all even though they are a little small. I guess they have a ping pong table so I'm excited for that so I guess I need to start working out in the mornings or at night. It was a little scary at first and I was really nervous getting off the plane, but I'm adjusting now. The people here drive worse than Utah drivers no joke, some people treat there cars like bumper cars. The thing I like is they let us sleep during our personal study time because we didn't go to bet till around 12, so it was good to get another hour of sleep in. The food they have given us isn't bad at all, but we don't get as much as we did back in Provo, it’s like a kitchen and afterwards you have to get out the sponge and towel and clean the dishes yourself. You could tell when we were driving to the MTC from the airport the different neighborhoods where different classes lived. The cars are somewhat modern, and you can tell that they have different emission standards and registration requirements when you see what people do to their cars. When we came in the airport there were a big group of fans waiting I guess for MLB players to show up so we had to get around that and find our bus and somehow get all of our stuff on it and us. There are only 33 missionaries here, and 7 of them are Haitians, so it is not big at all, everything is in the same building. I love y’all a lot and hope y’all continue to do well. My P days are on Thursday so that will be the next time I can communicate with y’all. I don't have a time restriction on the email so I don't know how dear elder works here but I know it is free so continue to send me letters.


Love, Elder Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment