Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Decided to buy some machetes and go hike up the mountain in Puerto Plata.

Hey how are y’all doing? I am glad to hear that Grandpa Brink is doing well, and I hope Grandpa. Smith is well too. Also I bet y’all are glad to have football back.
But yeah we got hit with a wicked storm Saturday morning. We got woken up like at 6:00 in the morning from a lightning strike that struck near our house.
Yeah Kirk would be a pretty good body guard; (in reference to him shadowing Brittney at BYU if he doesn’t play in the NFL this year) I would keep my distance.

So for our p day Elder Childs, Guzman, Contreras, and I decided to buy some machetes and go hike up the mountain in Puerto Plata. That was one of the most intense things I have ever done in my life. It was a combination of hacking with machetes, rock climbing and about every hiking skill there is. We didn’t quite make it to the top, but we got about 95% of the way up. We hit a dead end with a huge wall to climb and we decided not to risk it. So we started at 7:00 in the morning and got up and down by 1:00 pm so I am absolutely dead.


The work is doing great here, we have a baptism this week! We have a 12 year old that has gone to church for over a year with his friends so he wanted us to teach him, so we have been teaching him for the past couple of weeks and is getting baptized Saturday. So it was a free gift from some members, which is always nice. His name is Carlos and he is a way smart kid and will help out the Deacons Quorum here. We had a great lesson with a couple that needs to get married Monday night, so we are hoping they can turn the corner before the end of the transfer. We still have our families that need to get married, they do everything other than the getting married part. We are trying to find some new people and have some success. We found a guy that was a stud investigator but just moved to Santo Domingo so we lost him.

Our ward here is pretty cool. I had to give a talk on Sunday so it was my first time to give a talk in like 6 months. Usually members work in construction, farming, cooking, or killing animals.
Well I hope y’all enjoy this last part of the summer that is left! Take care, love you guys!

Elder Smith



View from the hike




No comments:

Post a Comment